The political rants of a Libertarian and Catholic college student from South Carolina.

Monday, March 28, 2005

the bob barker needs a kidney act of 2005

I had my long-awaited confirmation into the Catholic Church on Saturday night. It was a really beautiful ceremony and very moving in some ways. Amazingly for a three-hour mass, the priest only really lost me during the homily. He had to work in a Terri Schiavo reference somehow. In this case, the priest's exact statement was (I'm only paraphrasing slightly here), "We will show the world that no federal court in the land can revoke the right of anyone to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as has occurred in the Terri Schiavo case."

I bit my lip and figured that now probably was not the best time to point out that God revoked her right to life about fifteen years ago, and I don't really believe that someone who's dependent upon a feeding tube for her survival is really pursuing liberty.

This was interesting, because my non-church going Methodist parents were in attendance, and shortly before the mass, we had gone to dinner together and ended up discussing the Schiavo case. "She needs to die," my mother said bluntly, and I agreed. It's a horrible story, it absolutely is, and I have a lot of sympathy for her parents as well as for Michael Schiavo. But this is not a case of someone's right to life. She isn't living right now.

This whole case creeps me out, for lack of a more articulate phrase. I don't at all understand why the media has locked onto this the way it has. It's disgusting how almost every time I turn on CNN in hopes of hearing about hard news, I get The Unofficial Terri Schiavo Death Watch. Furthermore, as someone who has dealt with weight issues in the past, it's disturbing to see so vividly what bulimia, and weight concerns in general, can do to someone.

Speaking of CNN, last night I caught some coverage of groups of Catholics protesting the decision and several people saying things very similar to what my priest said on Saturday night. The general gist of their arguments were always that she was being "murdered" by her former husband. And yet this ABC News poll reveals that more than half of Americans and more than half of Evangelicals a) supported the removal of the tube and b) believed that both Bush and Congress were wrong to intervene.

I honestly hope that this is the last entry in which I mentioned Schiavo, because as sad a story as it is, I'm sick to death of hearing about it and I'm sure all of you are, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home